Tuesday, 28 April 2009

Bloggings of yore

I had some leisure time over the Easter holidays and ended up digging out some amusing old pictures both of the retro childhood era, and the cringeworthy awkward teen era, which in my case also sadly lasted for most of my university years! Whilst looking through old memorabilia, I also discovered some amusing evidence of my early 'bloggings' in the mid -80's'. My sister and I were made to write a diary every night before we went to bed, and it makes for fascinating reading! Who knows- maybe that's what first got me into the zone of reflective writing! (though I do remember it being a chore at the time!) Perhaps this is completely self-indulgent but I have decided to scan some of them in and share them on here, just for the retro novelty value.
Scan 0003
Publish at Scribd or explore others:




Ah life seemed so simple in those days- I wonder if it really was as simple as these one line snapshots imply! OK so this next one seems a bit hard to read but I found it amusing. It was from my P3 school news book, which was a weekly thing that started off with some class news given by the teacher and then we added our own news to it. I love how the fact that I 'kept-on getting change' was the best news I had to offer that week- especially the 5p I had left to 'spend' at church 'at Sunday'. Ha ha!
(not sure why this bit has gone into an extra small font, but there you go- can't seem to change it!)

Scan 0013 Scan 0013 debsshares
This next one is for Ali P's benefit- yes one of your guys' visits made it into my news (maybe not that much of a compliment due to the previous item that made the headline- getting change!) and I even managed to draw a picture, although it looks like I didn't have time to finish colouring it in! (and I don't actually think you're in the pic due to the fact you were at home playing with David!)

Scan 0009
Wow my love life wasn't that bad in August 1985 going by the first entry in this next one!
I love how the fact that I was 'shivery' on Tuesday 20th August translated so clearly into my writing style in that day's entry! One expressive advantage of pen and paper as opposed to a keyboard!


The terrible spelling in this next entry is what makes it so amusing to me. Look for for clangers including 'haliluya' 'yuneform' (say what you see!) and 'supost' (again a logical attempt in its own way!)
Scan 0005 Scan 0005 debsshares
This is my attempt at giving an account of my cousin Kathryn's birth, and I still remember being quite traumatised when I heard she was blue and 'chocking' when she 'came out of the tummy' due to something around her neck 'not put on properly' -later known as the umbilical cord, interesting the way in which my little brain must have computed the explanation I was given! And I have no idea why there is such a massive light shining on to the bed, or why my aunt is so tiny! Or it could be the baby...hard to say really...including the visitor on the left hand side who has an interesting non-human appearance!
Scan 0008
A year later and I have started my attempt at 'joined-up writing'. I was never any good at it. Interesting glimpse into 7 yr old child growing up in NI- 'Bomb went off in Enniskillen' right next to an entry about walking home with my sister, just another regular day-to-day event?
Scan 0004
Publish at Scribd or explore others:

Well...looks like my font has gone small again...I'm as good at controlling this as I ever was at my joint writing!! (ie, not very!)

Just a small glimpse into a fun era of life and I'm glad to have it all on paper still.

Who knows, maybe one day I'll look back at these as the fun times and be glad I kept a blog- although I sincerely hope I won't be cringing as much at my bad spelling!

5 comments:

  1. Wow! Amazing. It was a bad idea to read this at work - difficult to stifle the laughter! Possibly my favourite entry is Wednesday 11th 1987 (the last picture) - "Normal day" as though all the other entries were exciting and unique!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word this is brill! But I am so gutted about not being in the pic, although I have to say you all look a lot taller and more glamourous than I remember! (Is glamourous spelt right? I'm sooo tired and that doesn't look right but I can't figure out a better way. Rats.) Anyway, I don't remember staying in to play with Dave at any stage, but I guess those were the days before Heather was on the scene - I'm fairly sure David never called me "wife" in spite of my obvious selflessness. Sniff.

    I love finding old stuff like this, though it always makes me a bit emotional and nostalgic for the halcyon days of childhood... We did have happy childhoods for the most part, eh? Much happier than many...

    Great blogging, both then and now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow - these are fantastic!! i really enjoyed this entry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Rainbow Brite... I had a poster on my bedroom wall which may have involved collecting a magazine on a weekly basis. I used to get it from the newsagents in Abbey Street where I once got a 10p mix despite not having finished all of my apple earlier that morning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Debo - you practically invented the whole twitter thing!!! I loved this :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete